Defense Kumite of Soke Shimabuku Based Upon Kata
Tori: The person performing the technique (The star performer).
Uke: The person receiving the technique. The person the technique is
performed upon. **
Part I Defense From Wrist Holds:
1. Left hand hold Right wrist
a. Seisan kata release (Seisan kata)
b. Sanchin release (Sanchin kata)
2. Two hand hold release:
a. Step in rising elbow and back fist strike
b. Step in rotating elbow strike to solar plexus
c. Step back or forward grab & jerk release with
reinforced elbow strike
3. Left hand hold Right hand from side position
a. Elbow lock
b. Roundhouse kick
4. Right hand hold Right wrist
a. (vertical) Release and counter with chop or elbow (Chinto, Wansu kata)
b. Right hand hold right wrist from top
(1). Reinforce drive fist into face
(2) Reinforce release break and punch
(3) Reinforced break fails
Hold and counter with an elbow strike
Part II Defense Against Middle Level Lunge Punch:
1. Outside block counter punch
2. Inside block counter punch
3. Naihanchi punch (Naihanchi kata)
4. Shoulder elbow block, back fist strike (Sunsu kata)
5. Sunsu kata
a. Palm up grab, spin, elbow strike, and elbow break
b. Against vertical punch
Part III Strike Defense Against Twist and Vertical Punches:
1. Strike top of fist with Heiken (Rap)
2. Strike top of fist with Uraken (Back fist) (Seiunchinkata)
3. Vertical use Heiken
4. Use back fist strike
Part IV Defense Against Low and High Front Kick:
1. Palm block inside and counter punch or kick
2. Knee block (Wansu kata)
3. Down block counter punch or kick
4. Double fist block X (Chinto, kusanku kata)
5. Outside scoop and catch adams apple/palm heel, knee, trip, and punch.
Part V Using Opponents Arm Against Him:
1. Against punch.
2. Against Left kick.
3. Against Right kick.
4. Against spin (counter twist escape armbar)
Part VI Defense against a lapel or collar hold:
1. One hand lapel pull grab. Grab, twist, kick (Sunsu kata)
2. One hand lapel grab with a push. Grab and use wrist lock
3. Cross arm choke release. Grab under elbows and use toe ripping (Sunsu kata)
4. Should opponent sweep you off your feet, hold and kick
Part VII Defense From: Full Nelson and Fear Choke Neck Breaker:
1. Relax pressure, chop groin
2. Relax pressure, grab leg, stomp kick
3. Relax pressure, grab left leg, chop
4. Defense from Neck breaker. Grab groin
Part VIII Defense From: Rear Bear Hug:
1. If your arms free grab and break ringers
2. Low bear hug. Grab groin.
Part IX Defense Against Headlock:
1. Defense against head lock. Grab shoulder and groin and throw.
2. Pressure point with one knuckle fist.
3. Jerk shoulders up, kick out legs and jump free
4. Pressure point behind calf
Part X Defense From Devil's Hand Shake (Arm Bar):
1. One person devils hand shake
2. Two person hold devils hand shake
Part XI Defense On The Ground:
1. Person sits on shoulder
2. Person on top one hand choke and punch
3. Person on top two hand straight choke
4. Person on top cross arm choke
5. Smother hold. Knuckles in side
Part XII Knife Defense:
1. Ice pick. Chop, kick, trip
2. Straight upward stab. Grab, twist, kick
3. Straight lunge stab. Grab, pull to floor, kneel, break arm
4. Guard as in 1st Kotekitai. (forearm conditioning)
5. Against two knives or sai. Chop, squat kick
6. Two knife thrust: Double block from sanchin kata, counter kick
** A good Uke is one who supplies realism to technique. He must not hold back or aim to miss the Tori.
Tori Uke relationship is similar to Sempai-Kohai. Both benefit, into the Uke from practicing given techniques.